Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Afikoman vs. The Easter Egg

In the midst of this paper-ordeal, I am distracted by sweet thoughts about the upcoming holiday. While the Israelis prepare for passover by ridding the country of wheat and its like, I am preparing myself to go home to good, old Norway to celebrate easter. This year, easter and passover fall conveniently on the same dates, and I get to leave the country without missing valuable lectures in Arabic and other Middle Eastern peculiarities. I am free to explore the ski tracks of the snow- covered Norwegian forests without having to think about heavy grammar, impossible shadda's and squiggly letters. I will embrace the piles of yellow easter chickens that will fill each and every house and store, I will take a deep breath and finally relax.



Around three years ago, I came to Israel to visit my boyfriend's family for the first time. It was easter and I packed my bags feeling lucky that I would escape the holiday-closed Norway and spend my vacation in exciting Israel. I had no idea passover would be even more holy and strict than the easter I was used to, in fact I had no idea about passover at all. My boyfriend had informed me that there would be a family dinner, and although nervous, I felt confident that I would at least survive it.

Little did I know that passover dinner, the Seder, is not even comparable to a normal dinner. When the eggs and the salty water and what not were passed around and my boyfriend's family was reading the Hagada (the story about the Jewish liberation from slavery in Egypt), I didn't know what to say, let alone what to do. I watched as the youngest one got up on her chair to sing some odd song, and devoid of anything better to do, I took part in the clapping. I ate the grayish gefilte fish and did my best to hide the fact that I thought I was going to die. My first Seder dinner still stands as the most obscure encounter I've had with a different culture.

If you're not Jewish, moving to Israel can be confusing to say the least. Luckily for me, my boyfriend's family is what I would call extremely secular, something which in most situations has made my encounter with the Jewish/Israeli world easier. As an ignorant gentile I have had to learn the customs and traditions from scratch, and after all together 2,5 years in Israel I can finally say that I know a thing or two about Jewish holidays and traditions. I am no longer surprised when I, on what I assume is a normal week day, enter the super market only to be met by huge “happy holiday”- signs. After all, this happens at least once a month. I have even learned to like it.

Passover can be quite nice, so why am I so happy about going back to Norway for the holidays? What can the yellow easter chickens and the fluffy easter bunny possibly offer me that passover can't? The answer is simple. When having to choose between the Afikoman (a piece of the cardboard tasting matza bread our beloved cynic wrote about in the previous post, wrapped in a napkin and hidden around the house for the kids to search for after the Seder dinner) and any average candy-filled easter egg, I'd be out of my mind not to choose the latter.




I will admit that the whole easter bunny – thing is weird and somewhat disturbing, but as long as those eggs keep popping up around my garden, I simply can't, and will not, complain.

-The... Norwegian-

No comments:

Post a Comment