Friday, May 1, 2009

To jog or not to jog

Over the easter/passover holidays I celebrated my teeny weeny little sister's 18th birthday, and it made me realize that I am definitely not getting any younger. To tell you the truth I have no idea what I've been doing all this time. One thing is certain, for a time there things weren't looking good for my grand plan of becoming a healthy human being with cucumbers in the fridge and worn out running-shoes by the time i turn 25.

So this easter I decided to start a new life. This basically involves more vegetables, less chocolate and a pair of happy looking running-shoes. I have become a jogger. I do admit there is more walking than running involved, but nevertheless, I am no longer a couch potato. There is, however, a few things I hadn't thought through before I started this new healthy hobby of mine. I will elaborate.


I don't know how this works in the rest of the world, but where I come from, in the modest yet glorious Kingdom of Norway, this is a golden rule: whenever a person goes missing only to be found weeks or months later lying dead in a swamp, a ditch, behind a tree or under the melting ice, he or she is always found by an innocent jogger.

Norwegian newspaper reports: "Jogger found dead person in the forest".


I am not sure I am ready for this. I am barely coping with the taste of blood in my mouth after running, and now I have to handle other people's blood as well? Isn't it a little too much to ask? To be frank, I'm pretty sure nothing takes the joy out of jogging like stumbling over a dead body. It would scare the jogging-urge out of me, thats for sure.

But there is more. In quite a few of the cases where a person goes missing and is found lying dead out in the wilderness, this dead person is in fact a once oh-so-happy jogger. He or she used to be a happy trouper, running around spotting dead bodies in the terrain, but something went wrong and boom! the hunter becomes the hunted.

So now I find myself forced to reconsider. Is jogging really worth the risk?

(The above pictures were borrowed from here and here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment